1 largish winter squash (app. 3 lbs) cut in half and seeds scooped out
15 oz ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp. each red pepper flakes and nutmeg
1 bunch swiss chard chopped, stems and leaves separated
2 tbsp. butter
2 c. milk, heated in microwave for 2 minutes
1 box no boil lasagna noodles
4 large garlic cloves, chopped finely or crushed through garlic press
shredded Italian blend cheese (or combination of mozzerella and parmesean
- Roast for 1 hour (or until soft) squash at 375 degrees. Place cut side, rubbed with olive oil, on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- When squash is done, let cool then peel skin off. Puree in food processor.
- Make a bechemel sauce by melting butter, whisking in flour and cooking until light gold color. While whisking, poor in hot milk slowly and cook over med-low heat until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Mix squash puree, ricotta, salt
- Saute chard stems with garlic and a bit of olive oil until softened. Add chopped chard leaves and saute until wilted. Add to ricotta mixture.
- Start your layers in a buttered 9x13 pan: Bechemel sauce, noodles, squash-ricotta-chard mix. I usually get 2-3 layers of each. Top with cheese. Cover with tin foil.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, remove tin foil and bake for additional 10 minutes.